Thursday, May 16, 2013

Acceptance, Tolerance and Universalism

Truth is not absolute, it is relative. What is good and what is bad is also relative. I had spend large parts of my day reading wikipedia while in college and my friends asked me why I did it. I have been poring over newspapers for years and many have asked me 'what is the point'. I have engaged in discussions on many topics ranging from energy conservation to random topics like "Has mankind become less intelligent with the passing of time" and foreign affairs, it may or not have lead to a final conclusion or anyone changing their stance, but I have always emerged the wiser and this too was pointless according to many.

I am not going to elaborate on why I did those things, but I would like to consider the difference in views here. I felt this was good for me, this is what made me happy and I did what I wanted to do. Many have made the decision to enjoy the present and let the future worry about itself using the statement that 'if I die tomorrow, I want it to happen only after I have enjoyed myself fully'. Many pursue and focus on short term gains and happiness without even looking at long term impact of their actions. It is true that many do not even have a long term view.

There are traditional ways to have fun and relax, then there are the popular ways of doing it and then there are the emerging ways to do the same. Although this could be the stated or ostensible purpose, the real aim could be to escape, put up a brave front or could be an imitation or playing to a crowd for acceptance and praise. Those who do not fall under the accepted and popular norms are considered sad and stupid.

I do not wish to get get into the rights and wrongs, good and bad aspects of it. But to each of us, what we are doing is right and will rarely consider the alternative whatever the circumstances. We are all safe under the illusion that our beliefs, what we think is good and bad, what we have and we are doing, are all right. Any threat or challenge to it is unacceptable. "They are wrong, I am right" is what leads to "My faith is right, theirs is wrong" and communal violence. This is what lead to "My culture is superior, they are savages" and wiping out of entire cultures and civilisations in Latin America, North America, Australia and in India during colonial rule. In India it is still happening as tribal cultures are threatened by government enforced eviction and cultural destitution in the name of development. The belief leads to "My land is superior, this is mine and you are not welcome" attitude exploited in Mumbai by self-serving politicians.

These are arrogant, bigoted, selfish, divisive views. I have held many views similar to this, when first exposed to multiple cultures during the first days of college,  when the pride of having made it to a top college in the country had gone to my head etc. The reasons for holding these views could range from misplaced pride to defensiveness or vulnerability, but one this for certain- such views will only narrow us down. As long as your belief does not affect me, I have no issues with what you believe in- irrespective of whether it opposes, ridicules, agrees or is indifferent to mine. They are all right and they can all co-exist and the difference in beliefs is partly a matter of choice, partly forced by circumstances and partly an involuntary response by who we are in reality.

It is about accepting other beliefs and ideologies, living with them in harmony and accepting it is all true while we have our own beliefs and ideologies which are modified, sharpened and made better in light of what we have learned from other beliefs and ideologies. It is high time we all, including me, learned this for a better world.

No comments: