Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Story has only begun

One of my best friends told me about how another friend of ours had got placed in Microsoft and how she was the only one who got placed there from her college. It was not a surprise for me since she is the only person that I know who joined a good engineering college to actually become an engineer whereas for the rest of us, becoming an engineer was just an insignificant epilogue. We were told that once you get in, THAT IS IT and at 16, you believe what you are told by your parents, who actually had no clue about what they were saying and who were taught this by friends and the initial sources were coaching centres that had to grab the school toppers regardless of the interests of these students

A popular bollywood movie had the phrase 'kahaani abhhi baaki hai mere dost', meaning 'the story is still not over' (roughly!), but in engineering life, the story only begins once you are in college and then there are higher studies options to think about and then careers in core or software or a transition to management or something else entirely.

I do not know what is right or wrong, to have joined BITS has been an unbelievable experience for me since it widened my horizon, I met some of the most talented people ever, some of the most smartest, sharpest minds and learned to live in a mixed environment which had people from all over the country. It taught me to learn and learn and learn all the time, even from the most insignificant of matters, from everyday incidents about dealing with people, taking pressure, meeting deadlines (to be more honest- how to submit an assignment- copy, borrow or just plain old bluffing) and countless other things. But engineering wise, I really doubt whether I have done justice to myself and to this institute. Time will tell, but it is most likely to ring me up and say 'Yo dude, m2l2. ggwp hua mkl' or something like that.

Got an exam tomorrow, going to be run over by a freight train at full speed. So, ciao people.



PS- this is my personal experience and that of many who studied with me in my hometown and what many of my friends had told me. Your experience could be different and if it is, you are really fortunate and hats off to you for having done what you wanted to do.

5 comments:

akv said...

:'(

Unknown said...

Why does it have to be a certain something to bring such discussions to the fore?? (about how engineering is being rubbed upon us in general and how it is eating up an average guy's personality, etc.)
It is plain shocking to see how much 3 Idiots could do to bring to awareness a Student's 'problem' which was until recently not even considered a problem!!
So what if there was no 3 Idiots. There would be very few cries on this matter. Many of us wouldn't have had the courage to speak out. The film has done good in acknowledging the truth and putting it in public's eye.
Thank them for enabling you to add something to the already big heap of articles on 'engineering students'

Anand Shankar said...

I haven't seen the movie 3Idiots, although I have read the book 5.some1..i suppose it is natural to attribute this post to a new-found inspiration from the movie to raise my voice against the craze about engineering(a craze which most students doing their engineering wouldn't share)

the post, as i mentioned in its beginning, the post came about as a discussion I had with one of my best friends, about another person who followed her dream and achieved her goals..
I must also say the impending disaster that was power electronics exam also contributed to this post.

Unknown said...

Well I did not know you didn't watch 3 idiots yet. See...this is what I am saying. I have taken it for granted that u watched the film. That obvious it is today.
The issue was always obvious but rarely is it spoken out. That is the sad part I think.
Something so major a concern it is. May be a million people are studying engineering, is it not? But it was never a branded topic of discussion.

Anand Shankar said...

it is a sad but true fact that thousands join engineering without knowing wht it is actually about.it is more sad that there has been rarely any discussion about this topic until this movie.

it was upto 'basanthi' to give colour, rigour and awaken a generation, it needed munnabhai to give gandhiji a rebranding and make him acceptable to us. in an age where packaging is more important, when the covering is more important than the content, the branding is all important.cricket and movies are the only icons we accept and perhaps orkut,facebook and mobiles our accepted media of communication.we might soon find zoozoo preaching bhagavad gita.who knows.it is an unfortunate trend where television icons determine the age we live in.

all that said, atleast in this case, i do not care how it is brought to the public eye, all i hope is that something is done about the system where hundreds of thousands enter into a world with false ideas and realise this isnt all hunky-dory as they had were told about and before they know it, the ground crumbles beneath their feet.